Welcome welcome, one and all, to the circus that is my thoughts.

Enjoy your stay

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Beyond her years

In my life thus far I've come to realize that at least 60% of the human life around me has been spoiled. I don't know why and I don't know who to blame, but I'm ashamed. Today seemed to really test that theory. Not to sound conceited, but I was a very good child, and I like to think of myself as honestly a good person as well, I'm proud of my parents for how they raised my sister and I. I was raised to be the child that helped elderly people when they dropped something, and hold the door open for strangers, but as I got older I realized that these morals I was taught, no one else seemed to know. In Elementary school I watched, unsure how to react while the other kids called the other bad names and made fun of our teachers, by the time I reached middle school I defended them without a though, because this is how I learned to live, and I don't mind it a bit.

I'm not cocky, I think I'm a pretty normal person, but there's so many people that just aren't kind anymore. A boy I went to school with my freshman year despised everything to do with Christmas because of the way people acted, we once had to write a letter to Santa to Macys, and every letter they received they'd donate a dollar to a charity, it was silly, but for a good cause, and we all went along with it, telling Santa what we wanted for the holidays and why we were on his Nice list, but the boy that hated Christmas said he wanted a gun and would shank Santa if he didn't get it, it was 'just a joke' but obviously, this made him no better than the people he said he hated.

Events like this, they happen around here so much more often
then not. I've never traveled, Is this different in the rest of the world? Are people only full of hate around the North West? Are things better everywhere else? I can only hope. In the darkest of snowy nights becoming more of a scrooge every day, I heard a story that made me almost tear up. My mother has a friend she worked with. Her friend, Maria, has an abusive, drunk husband and six children, at two, four, five-year-old twin girls, eight, and fifteen. I went to school with her fifteen year old son for a while, he's a bully that thinks hes a gangster and acts like he does drugs because it's 'cool'. Maria is sweet as can be, however, and both my mother and I have often wondered how she got stuck in a life like this, with no one in her family who helps support her or seems to love her, her children are being raised like her husband, today though, Maria called my mom with her first good news. After a huge fight with her husband while her younger children were home, her husband verbally abusing her, she gave up, crying and stumbled out of the room to her bedroom. Her five-year-old daughter had left her a note under her pillow. "Don't listen to Daddy, he's mean, you're great."

The world needs more people like her, sweet, innocent, and wise far beyond her years. I want to be like her when I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment